Many people consider management and leadership as the same, but in reality, both are different. It is important to understand that leadership is an essential part of effective management. Both should go hand in hand. They are not similar but are necessarily linked and complementary to one another. To understand more about both, we should look into what both are.
Management is a set of principles relating to the functions of planning, organising, directing and controlling resources effectively to achieve organisational goals. An ideal manager has skills such as communication, interpersonal, motivational, strategic planning etc.
Leadership is the art of inspiring employees in your company to act toward achieving goals. An effective leader should be excellent communicator, creative, responsible, committed, trustful and inspiring.
Some of the common differences are:
- Managers establish the structure, delegate authority and responsibility. Leaders provide direction by developing the organisational vision and communicating it to the employees and inspiring them to achieve it.
- While management deals with the technical aspects of an organisation; leadership handles the people aspect of an organisation.
- A leader gets authority from followers, and a manager gets authority by his position in the organisation.
- While managers follow the company’s policies and procedure, the leaders follow their instinct.
- A leader should possess the quality of foresightedness while a manager has the intelligence.
- A manager is responsible for decision-making while a leader facilitates it.
- Leaders aim at the growth and development of teammates while managers aim at accomplishing the results.
- Managers react to change, whereas leaders create change.
For any company to be successful, it requires a management that can plan, organise and coordinate its staff, while also inspiring and motivating them to perform to the best of their ability.
Enhancing knowledge and gaining experience is what it takes to be a good manager and leader. Improving existing and building new capabilities are also essential. Undertaking online managerial training courses serve the purpose. CMI provides level 7 strategic management and leadership course that enables polishing your skills and will provide you with extensive knowledge for successfully leading an organisation.
The Level 5 Diploma in Management Coaching and Mentoring makes the learner to enhance the skills and understand the challenges… Read More
The Level 5 Certificate in Management and Leadership is a more comprehensive qualification which will enhance your knowledge of middle management skills and competencies … Read More